Pages

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Pancakes, Bacon and the Best Scrambled Eggs In World ™



Ooh look! A special weekend bonus recipe for you to try. These pancakes are really quick and easy to make and you can freeze any spare ones to have another day. Just zap them for a few seconds in the microwave. What isn't negotiable is topping them with butter after you've cooked them. It is the law.

You can use plain flour and baking powder as I have done here or replace these with self-raising flour if you have some. This is the smallest amount you can make because you can't really get smaller than one egg and it should make four good sized pancakes. However if you want to make more it is easy to double or triple the recipe.

First thing is to grill some bacon until it is crispy then turn off the grill, put the bacon on a plate and put this plate in the grill space to keep warm. Close the grill to keep the heat in.

So for the pancakes you need:

1/2 a mug of plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
a knob of butter, melted (in the microwave)
1 egg, beaten
150ml milk

Whisk the dry ingredients together.

Whisk the wet ingredients together.

Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a low to medium heat.

Dollop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan. You will probably have to cook them two at a time.

Bubbles will appear on the top of the pancakes as they cook. When the bubbles have mostly all burst, flip the pancakes over and cook the other side for another couple of seconds then put them on the warm plate in the grill space.

For the scrambled eggs you will need:

2 eggs
splash of milk - or cream if you have some
large knob of butter

Whisk the eggs and milk together and put into a non-stick pan. Drop in the knob of butter.

So the secret to the best scrambled eggs in the world ™is very low heat and patience. Put the pan over the lowest heat possible and use a silicone spatula to stir. Initially nothing much will happen so you just need to stir occasionally but after several minutes the eggs will suddenly start to set on the bottom of the pan. Use the spatula to scrape the cooked eggs up, but do this gently because you want big soft pieces. This bit doesn't take very long, so you can't walk away at this point. If you do you will end up with an egg frisbee. Keep scraping and stirring gently until the eggs are cooked to your liking then tip them onto the plate with the pancakes and bacon.

Eat. Preferably in front of your jealous flatmates. I have to make do with the dog and cats. But they are definitely jealous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H: Should I fry the bacon first or after the pancakes since I'm not using a grill?

'I'd do the bacon first because it will take longer to cook. When it's done stick it on a plate and cover with something - upturned bowl? Another plate? Something like that x

'If you have any tin foil that works.'

H: Do I need oil to fry bacon?

'A little bit - like a teaspoon will get things going but you can do it without if you put the bacon in a cold pan and then heat it. It's up to you x'

H: K!

H: Can I whisk with a fork or should I borrow an actual whisk?

'Ok you have to remind me what you are whisking - it's been a while since I wrote the destructions'

H: Destructions he he he. I'm whisking the batter.

'Oh it should be fine with a fork. Just beat the shit out of it.'

H: Okay!

'Don't forget to photograph stuff xxx'

H: oh yeah! Ok

H: Do I need to whisk the dry and wet ingredients separately first? 'Cause I only have the one mixing bowl...'

'You can do it in one. The previous whisk rules apply though.'

H: Wooo...



'Oh my WORD! That's a PANCAKE right there...'

H: Eggs next!


H: Do I use my frying pan or one of my other pans?

'Are the other pans non-stick?'

H: I believe so

'Then any of those would be fine'

H: Can I use my wooden spoon cause I don't have a silicone spatula?

'Yes of course. I put wooden spoon first but thought you had a silicone thing instead...'

H: Nah that was Tanya's haha!


'Well that looks the business. Well done chick xxx'




2 comments:

  1. a) That looks lush (despite having just had my tea!)
    b) Learning the basics like this is a MUST!
    c) Do you think an 11 and 9 year old could do this on Saturday morning as I'm out on Friday night #perfecthangoverfood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing them as I do I'd say they'd find it very easy :) They might want to double the quantities though... If they do make it, photos please? Xx

      Delete